Habitat for Humanity Lumpkin County Georgia
Habitat for Humanity and the Lumpkin County High School Construction Team have built three houses since 2017. Each house was built at the High School and then moved to a permanent location. The third house will be moved from the High School to a permanent location beginning on Monday, July 22, 2019. The lot is currently being prepared for the house's arrival.
With the beginning of the new school year, a fourth house will be started. The support of the Lumpkin County High School and many local companies has made this program possible.
Thank you for your interest in Habitat for Humanity of Lumpkin County.
For we are labourers together with God:
ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
According to the grace of God which is given unto me,
as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon."
1 Corinthians 3:9-10
Habitat for Humanity's purpose is to work in cooperation with communities to develop housing for people in need. We aspire to collaborate with agencies, groups and municipalities to provide homeownership opportunities throughout Lumpkin County.
We strive to exemplify the gospel of Jesus Christ through loving kindness, and a spirit of acceptance. We work with people from all walks of life, every culture, ethnicity and faith tradition to accomplish our common goals.
The ultimate goal of Habitat for Humanity is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness by building safe, decent, affordable housing. Habitat is not a giveaway program. It is a partnership in which those who benefit from the program are involved directly in every aspect of the mission.
We achieve affordability because:
- We receive a percentage of building materials from generous sponsors, as well as substantial discounts from major suppliers.
- Up to 80% of the labor needed to build a Habitat house is performed by volunteers, including 350 hours of "sweat equity" contributed by the partner family.
- We sell the homes at cost, and use the proceeds from our mortgages to help build more homes.
Who We Are
As one of over 1600 National affiliates, of Habitat for Humanity International, we are a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. We are committed to helping local, legal residents earning low or very low income to finance and construct their own, affordable homes.
Mission Statement - The Habitat for Humanity Mission
Habitat for Humanity works in partnership with God and people everywhere, from all walks of life, to develop communities with people in need by building and renovating houses so that there are decent houses in decent communities in which every person can experience God's love and can live and grow into all that God intends.
In all that we do in pursuing the mission of Habitat for Humanity, we pledge to:
- Demonstrate the love and teachings of Jesus Christ. We will act in all ways in accord with the belief that God's love and grace abound for all; that every human life is priceless; that we must never exploit another for our own profit; that Christ can multiply the miniscule to accomplish the magnificent; and that we are to act as faithful stewards of the resources we receive.
- Advocate on behalf of those in need of decent shelter. We commit, as an integral part of our work, to communicating the needs of all people for safe and decent shelter, thereby engaging in deliberate efforts to leverage change within society to eliminate restraints that contribute to poverty and poverty housing.
- Focus on shelter by building and renovating simple, decent, affordable houses. We have chosen, as our means of manifesting God's love, to build adequate and durable homes with those in need of shelter, carrying out the belief that safe and affordable housing is a basic human right and a fundamental component of dignity and long-term well-being for every person on earth.
- Engage broad community through inclusive leadership and diverse partnerships. We will work in people-to-people partnership. Following Christ's example, we believe that everyone--regardless of race, nationality, religion or socioeconomic status-can work together for the good of all; that everyone can unite behind serving those in need within a human community; and that everyone has something to contribute to the work of building houses and hope.
- Promote dignity through full partnership with Habitat homeowners and future home partners. We put into practice the belief that healthy self-regard-and the benefits that derive from that sense of worth-is promoted not simply by living in an adequate house, but by fully contributing to the process of acquiring that house and by the opportunity to help others also acquire adequate shelter. Promoting dignity also refers to the nondiscriminatory selection of all home partners based on need and willingness to partner.
- Promote transformational and sustainable community development. We view our work as successful when it promotes holistic and lasting positive change within a community; when it helps empower those who have been powerless; when it is based on mutual trust and fully shared accomplishment; when it promotes improved relationships among all peoples; when its goal is local, community leadership for ongoing work; and when it demonstrates respectful stewardship of all human, economic and natural resources.
Official Purposes of Habitat for Humanity
The official purposes of Habitat for Humanity are to partner with specific programs in habitat development globally, by constructing modest but adequate housing, and to associate with other organizations functioning with purposes consistent with those of Habitat, as stated in the Articles of Incorporation, to witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the world:
- By working in cooperation with God's people in need to create a better habitat in which to live and work.
- By working in cooperation with other agencies and groups that have a kindred purpose.
- By exemplifying the gospel of Jesus Christ through loving acts and the spoken and written word.
- By enabling an expanding number of persons from all walks of life to participate in this ministry.
Habitat in Lumpkin County - What We've Done Since its inception the Lumpkin County Habitat for Humanity affiliate, has built 5 houses for local area needy families in Lumpkin County. We will gladly accept donations of land or bequests for future projects.
Habitat for Humanity's partner families are all Lumpkin County residents whose income is too low to qualify for conventional financing. They are selected through extensive interviews by our Board of Directors and are representative of the county's ethnically diverse population. Living in poverty or substandard housing, these families often pay more than 50% of their income towards rent for run down, unsafe dwellings. Habitat for Humanity offers them the opportunity to obtain decent housing, often for the first time in their lives.
Habitat is run by a small staff and many volunteers. We are governed by a 12 member Board of Directors and assisted by as many as 20 committee members to achieve our mission.
Ways to Get Involved
Lumpkin County Habitat for Humanity is a local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a nonprofit, ecumenical Christianhousing ministry.
We seek to eliminate substandard housing. We are committed to helping local, low-income families finance and construct their own affordable homes.
Partnering and Faith!
Churches are essential partners, supporting the ministry of Habitat for Humanity and grounding our work in the gospel message.
Lumpkin County Churches... We invite you to connect with the Lumpkin County HFH affiliate today and help us put an end to poverty housing in Lumpkin County!
For more information about how your church or organization can partner with Habitat, contact:
President of Habitat for Humanity of Lumpkin County